If you have a removable/retrievable/optional inferior vena cava (IVC) filter, the following questions are important for you to consider:
- At the time your IVC filter was placed, were you told it could be removed at some time in the future but no one ever contacted you to discuss or arrange its removal?
- Were you later told that you shouldn’t bother or that it was too risky to remove your filter?
- Were you told that your filter has been in place too long and that it could no longer be removed?
- Were you told that your filter should not be removed because it is broken, tilted, perforated through the IVC or in an occluded IVC?
- Did someone try to remove your filter and fail?
Don’t take “No” for an answer! Almost all retrievable IVC filters can be removed!